Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Featured Vendor: Toppers with Glitz

Sometime last year I got in touch with Sari from Toppers with Glitz, because I absolutely loved her cake toppers. I was drawn to the sparkly crystals and beautiful monograms, and I wanted to somehow tell the world about them. After such a chaotic wedding season and school schedule, I have been back in touch with Sari and the honor of my first vendor feature will go to her and her blooming business! Here are a few questions that I asked her recently to find out what is hot in her studio right now!

Do you recommend that your clients have their cake in mind before they contact you or do you find that most of your clients design their cake around their topper?
Like most of my customers, and probably not unlike other designers, I love to have visuals to work with. If I can see the cake, I typically get an immediate picture of "the perfect topper" for it. Making sure the entire cake will look good is always the top priority and most of my customers welcome the input, even if they end up taking a different direction than they initially planned. Hopefully their baker can do the same if the topper is purchased first.


With recent orders, or upcoming 2009 orders what are the most popular color trends that you're seeing?
Tiffany blue was a big color this year and I am curious to see if it will still be big for '09. I am seeing a lot of champagne and ivory,and LOVE the outcome. Swarovski has some really beautiful soft browns that blend extremely well together - Light Colorado Topaz is one of my all time favorites.
You're website is very informative, but what are a few things that potential clients frequently ask?
Hands down, the most frequent question I get asked is with regard to colors. There are so many colors and so many combinations that can be made, it's just not possible for me to address them all on the website.I welcome the questions, phone or email, and am happy to work with each bride, case by case. I also offer complimentary samples so that they colors can be seen in person and matched to their other items.

What was the most challenging job that you've had so far?
I did a table stand for a candle lighting ceremony that was 5" tall and measured almost 2 feet long (pictured above). I had plenty of time to make it but really underestimated how long it would take to crystal. It was the largest item I have taken on to date.
From a small business owners perspective, what has been your and/or your business most exciting accomplishment?
Last year Topper With Glitz was invited to participate in Swarovski's wedding showcase "Unbridaled". I didn't believe I was selected until I saw my products featured in the coffee-table book; a beautiful hard-cover book with designers like "Vera Wang" and "Fendi". The U.S. launch, a red carpet event, is taking place in New York later this year. I dare to dream big but I don't know how much bigger I can dream than this!


Furthermore, Sari goes on to say "I am always trying to expand my product line with relevant items that help complete a coordinated look. Last year I added server sets and bouquet monograms. This year I have added cake trim and toasting flutes."

Sari, Thank you for taking the time to answer all of the questions above! You offer such a beautiful and unique product that I know you will be a HUGE success! -Elva

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi how are you?

I was looking through your blog and found it interesting! I have an art blog here in San Diego and would like to invite you to visit and enjoy and comment.

I hope you are up to it? Thank you and I hope to see you soon =)